Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

COVID-19 Protocols:

If you are sick or have respiratory symptoms, such as a fever or a cough, please do not come to the courthouse.  Please contact your attorney, call the Court at (530) 694-2113, or see if you can appear remotely.

Civil Division


Civil cases usually involve disputes about contracts, damage to property, landlord/tenant issues, or damage or loss incurred due to actions or negligence by another party. No crime has been committed, but some wrongdoing has occurred. 

General civil cases are divided into types depending on how much money is owed:

  • If the amount of the dispute is $25,000.00 or less, it is a limited civil case type. 
  • If the amount of the dispute is over $25,000.00 or does not involve money such as actions to resolve title to real property or petitions for change of name, the matter is an unlimited civil case.
  • You can also file in Small Claims Court for $10,000.00 or less. If you are owed more than $10,000.00, you can waive the difference and file in Small Claims Court. Small Claims Court is a cheaper, more informal process than a typical civil case, although there are specific rules to follow. 

Remote Appearances

Civil matters will be heard as scheduled by remote video teleconference via Zoom unless otherwise ordered by the Court. Attorneys, and/or parties without counsel, are instructed to contact the Clerk’s Office to obtain the information necessary to make remote appearances.

See  the Remote  Appearances page for more information and forms. 


In most cases, you will be required to pay a fee to file papers with the court. Fees are set by the Statewide Civil Fee Schedule.

If you cannot afford the fees associated with filing, see "Fee Waivers" below. 

If you know your case number and fee amount, you may pay online.

Go to Online Payments for more information on paying online, by phone, or by mail. 

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

ADR, or Alternative Dispute Resolution, is a way to resolve a civil lawsuit that is usually less formal, less expensive, and less time-consuming than a trial. 

You may find more information on the Judicial Council's website. Please see the Related Links to the right. 

Alpine County Superior Court shares the services of the El Dorado County Superior Court, South Lake Tahoe Branch for ADR Mediation upon referral. 

If parties in your case voluntarily agree to participate in the ADR process, contact the Alpine County Superior Court Clerk's Office to have your information forwarded to the appropriate El Dorado County Court Clerk.  

Further Information and FAQs

A restraining  order, or protective order, is a way to use the courts to protect yourself and your family from abuse and harassment. There are different types of orders depending on the circumstances and relationship you have with the person you would like restrained

Civil Harassment protective orders fall under the Civil division. Domestic Violence protective orders falls under Family Law. To learn more about Restraining Orders and what type of order you may need to file, please see the Restraining  Orders page. 

In most civil cases, you will be required to pay a fee to file papers with the court. Filing fees are set by the Statewide Civil Fee Schedule. If you can’t afford the filing fee(s), you can file a “fee waiver” requesting your filing fees be waived by the Court.

Learn more about Fee Waivers

Alpine County Superior Court does not publish tentative rulings. 

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.