Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Traffic School

Per California Rule of Court 4.104, court clerks are authorized to grant requests to attend traffic violator school when a defendant with a valid driver's license requests to attend an 8-hour traffic school under certain Vehicle Code sections. Common examples include speeding violations, stop sign violations, etc.

You are generally NOT eligible for traffic school if:

  • You attended traffic school for a previous violation committed in the last 18 months of your present violation.

  • When cited, you had a commercial driver's license and were driving a commercial vehicle.

  • You were cited for a speeding violation in which the speed alleged is more than 25 miles over a speed limit.

  • You have outstanding Failure to Appear or Failure to Pay charges.

NOTICE: If you are eligible and decide not to attend traffic school your automobile insurance may be adversely affected. A traffic school conviction in any 18 month period will be held confidential. It will not show on your driving record if you complete a traffic violator school program. (California Vehicle Code Section 42007) 

Commercial Drivers: You are eligible for traffic school if you have a commercial license and were NOT driving a commercial vehicle when you were cited. After successful completion of traffic violator school, no points will be added to your DMV record. However, the infraction will NOT be reported as a confidential conviction (California Vehicle Code Section 42005). To guarantee your driver record is adjusted correctly following your completion of a traffic violator school program, please contact the CA DMV Driver Safety Unit at (916) 657-6452.

To attend traffic school, you must pay a non-refundable administrative fee of $52.00 to the court in addition to the bail amount printed at the top of your courtesy notice.

• To pay online:  you must add the administrative fee to the amount entered on ACI Payments, Inc.

• To pay by phone:  the automated system will ask if you wish to attend traffic school, and it will apply the fee to your total.

• To pay by mail:  write “traffic school” and your docket number on the check or money order.

NOTE: Traffic schools will charge a fee to enroll in their school. This is separate from the administrative fee charged by the court.

Alpine County Superior Court allows you 60 days to complete a California DMV approved 8-hour traffic school course. The 60 days starts from date of payment, or your appearance in court. The court will mail you instructions to the address on file to access CA DMV's traffic school list. You may also follow the quick link above.

After you have completed the course, the traffic school will electronically inform the court of your completion. You do not need to notify the court of your completion. It is not necessary for you to send the court a copy of the certificate of completion. If you wish to verify the court received your certificate, you may call the court five days after you completed the course.

Find a Traffic School 

If your bail/fine is paid, plus the $52.00 traffic school fee, find a traffic school here:

Traffic School List 

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are an out of state driver who has been cited for a traffic violation in Alpine County, please contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles before requesting traffic school for your citation.

As a Superior Court of California, the  court reports all traffic violations to California Department of Motor Vehicles. We will only accept certificates of completion for traffic violator schools that are licensed by California DMV.

Violations that are eligible for traffic school, the penalties associated with them, and reporting on a driver abstract differ from state to state. It is your responsibility to know if completing a California Traffic Violator School for a California Vehicle Code infraction will positively impact your driving record in your home state. 

No.  The clerk cannot grant extensions for traffic school completion. 

If you registered with a licensed California Traffic School, the school will send an electronic certificate of completion to the court on your behalf, typically within five days of you passing the course. 

If you would like to confirm the court received your certificate and your case is closed, you may call the Clerk's Office five days after you completed the course. 

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.