Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Family Law Division

Family Law

The Family Law Division handles matters of divorce, child support, child custody, parentage, and domestic violence.

Family Law Case Resolution Process

As of January 1, 2013, all California Family Law Courts are governed by the “family centered case resolution” process. This case management process is aimed at early settlement, quicker trial dates, reduced expense of litigation and better assistance to families. Your case will be managed through one or more status conferences at which the parties, attorneys and a judicial officer will discuss a "case resolution plan."

Alpine County Superior Court shares the services of the El Dorado County Superior Court, South Lake Tahoe Branch for Family Law Mediation upon referral. 

Remote Appearance

Family Law cases are generally heard under the Civil Calendar. Civil matters will be heard as scheduled via Zoom unless otherwise ordered by the Court. Attorneys, and/or parties without counsel, are instructed to contact the Alpine County Clerk’s Office at (530) 694-2113 to obtain the information necessary to make remote appearances. 

Please note Requests/ Petitions for Restraining Orders/ Protective Orders are heard trailing the Court's Criminal Calendar on Mondays at 3:00 P.M. 

See the Remote Appearances page for more information and forms. 


In most cases, you will be required to pay a fee to file papers with the court. Fees are set by the Statewide Civil Fee Schedule.

If you know your case number and fee amount, you may pay online.

Go to Online Payments for more information on paying online, by phone, or by mail. 

If you can’t afford the filing fee(s), you can file a “fee waiver” requesting your filing fees be waived by the Court.

Learn more about Fee Waivers

Copy/Search of Records Request

For information on how to request documents from a file, please visit our Records Requests page.

Family Law Facilitator 

The Family Law Facilitator is an attorney or paralegal available to provide procedural assistance to people who are representing themselves in family court.

Free legal assistance is available for those with issues related to:

  • Child and Spousal Support
  • Child Custody and Visitation
  • Parentage
  • Divorce
  • Property Division
  • Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
  • Other Family Law Matters

More Self-Help information can be found on the Court's Self-Help page or the California Courts Self-Help Center

Common Topics

  • Domestic Violence

    Parties alleging domestic violence may file for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order.

    Warning: Please note that websites you visit may be viewed by someone else later.
    Always clear your browsing history after searching the web. Consider using
    a public or friend’s computer if you are concerned about someone viewing
    your browsing history.

    You may go the the Restraining Orders page or Learn More to the right. 

    Effective July 1, 2023: Parties may submit filings of petitions for domestic violence restraining orders electronically. Please read the Instructions to Electronically File Domestic Violence or Gun Violence Restraining Orders. 

  • Divorce/ Dissolution

    A dissolution of marriage, or divorce, is the termination of a marriage or registered domestic partnership. Issues of custody and visitation, child support, spousal support, and property/debts can be resolved during the process. 

    PLEASE NOTE: For dissolution of marriage or legal separation in California, there are only two legal grounds. The first is "irreconcilable differences", meaning that at least one party asserts that the marriage cannot be saved. The other reason is "incurable insanity" which, unlike irreconcilable differences, must be proven.

  • Legal Separation

    A legal separation declares the parties legally separated, but they are still married or in a registered partnership. 

  • Summary Dissolution

    A summary dissolution is a simpler way to end a marriage or domestic partnership for couples who qualify and who are both in agreement to terminate the relationship. 

  • Annulment

    This may only be requested if a party alleges incest, bigamy, minor without parental consent, unsound mind, fraud, force or incapacity to consummate marriage. 

  • Child Custody and Visitation

    Even after marital and domestic partnership issues have been resolved, the court retains jurisdiction over issues that affect minor children in these proceedings until these children reach 18 years of age (or 19 years of age if still in high school). Parties may file motions to modify custody, support and visitation any time the circumstances warrant such filings.

  • Child Support

    To obtain or modify family support orders, establish parentage, or enforce existing family support orders, the Department of Child Support Services is available to assist you. In Alpine County, Central Sierra Child Support Agency is the local department. 

  • Adoptions

    Private and Stepparent: Before granting a petition for adoption, the court authorizes an investigation of the adoptive parents(s), regardless of whether they are related to the children or stepparents. Parties are required to pay for these investigations. Typically, the court will also consider petitions to terminate parental rights of the parent(s) who are relinquishing their children in this process.

  • Emancipation of Minors

    A minor may petition the court for a declaration of emancipation if the minor is at least 14 years of age, willingly lives separately from parents, and managing his own personal financial affairs.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.